Friday 6 May 2011

Water for Elephants... Review & Thoughts

Believe it or not, "Water for Elephants" wasn't on my to-see list this year.  I was interested to see Christoph Waltz again, after his performance in "Inglorious Basterds" but that was pretty much where my interest in the film ended. But of course, as a teenage boy the slightest interest in a female makes me abandon all holds I have over my own free-will. Suddenly I "don't mind Robert Pattinson, honest!" and I'm sure a "film about running away to the circus will be really nice!"

I suppose I'd best get the review out of the way...

Robert Pattinson stars alongside Reece Witherspoon as a freshly trained vet who runs away with the circus following the untimely death of his parents. Reece Witherspoon is the star attraction of the show, and obviously, our hero R-Patz instantly falls for her. The only problem with his new found attraction is her husband is a psychopathic ring-master, who doesn't think twice about throwing the occasional worker off the train to save money on wages, let alone if someone was to touch his wife. Christoph Waltz is very good as the role of the ringmaster, and is equally as unnerving on screen as the ruthless German officer he played in Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds." However, the same can't be said about the other stars of the film. Robert Pattinson pulls the same constipated look on his face which we have all come accustomed to in The Twilight Saga. (it hurts my fingers to type it's name.) And although Reece Witherspoon is her normally cute as a button self, I just felt like she was too old for the part. I wasn't sure if she was supposed to be playing an older woman and the whole affair was supposed to be very "Mrs Robinson" but they just didn't look right on screen. They had no chemistry on screen, and it was this lack of buzz which made there relationship hard to believe and connect with. There was genuinely more chemistry with Pattinson and Rosie the elephant.

Now that's out the way, I can get down to business!
Although Water for Elephants was fairly horrible, I had a really great time. So great in fact that I forgot how bad the film was. It made me remember, sometimes people like myself and maybe you forget about the simple pleasure of going to the cinema, and that's why we fell in love with films in the first place. I find myself getting bogged down with what got "star reviews" and what's "meant to be good" but everyone's taste is different. I thought Limitless was boring at times, despite it's positive reviews. There, I said it!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, sometimes it doesn't matter what film you see, it's the company that counts. Films are made to enjoy, and what better way to enjoy them but with the people you care about? Water for Elephants wasn't exactly my film of the year, but it didn't stop me having a good time. All those nights watching films with my dad, no matter how bad the film, they are all memories I hold close, and if it wasn't for those nights I probably wouldn't be writing this blog.
And if the person who I went to see Water for Elephants with is reading this... thank you for Wednesday, I had a great time!
But next film... my choice ;)

Thanks for reading my ramblings :)
Sorry I haven't been posting as often as I'd like, getting close to exam season and if I'm to one day dominate the Oscars I need to get uni first!
Luke :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment